Lake Villa, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: Good morning, I was wondering if I would have any claim to property in West Virginia if my dad's wife passed away?

Weird situation as I am 39 and just found out that a man that I have known as my godfather whom I've spoken with my whole life was actually my biological father. I'm named after him as well. I found out from my DNA linking in to people with his last name. He passed away 2 years ago and the first year he was gone I called his wife every day for a year and we talk weekly still. I don't have the heart to ever tell her and she talks about leaving me stuff in her will recently but if she passes I want to know if I have legal claim to her house in that state? My mother is still alive. I had this conversation with her and she confirmed his paternity. She would be willing to put it legally on file if need be. Please let me know if I have any options. Thank you for your time. Denise M.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Have her draft a Will. Pay for her legal fee. Drive her there. Sit outside. Smile.

I don’t understand why you are embarrassed to tell your step-mother that her husband was your father when she already confirmed it, but a Will in your favor will be much stronger than an out-of-time claim to inheritance from a dead person who never acknowledged paternity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.