Lahaina, HI asked in Employment Law for Hawaii

Q: Do I have a case for wrongful termination due to a false accusation made by a whistle blower?

I was an executive of an Independent hotel and was terminated due to a letter from a whistle blower send to the CEO/Owner of the company. The accusations were totally false however the owner of the company decided to terminate my employment without investigating my side of the story. Do I have any recourse?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Probably not. Hawaii is an at-will state, meaning that your employer can end the employment relationship for any reason or no reason. There are very few exceptions to this general rule. Without more information, I cannot determine if your situation falls into an exception. You should consult an employment attorney in your area to seek advice about your situation.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: This sounds like a complex situation. Although Hawaii is an at-will employment state, there are laws regarding discrimination claims and investigations.

It is not clear from your brief description what the accusations were. Let's assume for discussion that you were accused of sexual harassment of a co-worker of the opposite gender. You may have recourse on the basis of gender discrimination against you when they take the work of the complainer and make no investigation into the facts. In other words, they just assume that you are guilty, because of your gender, and fire you.

You should consult an employment attorney in your area to seek advice about your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.