Mundelein, IL asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: I live in Illinois and I have consent from both my parents. I am 16 do I need to be emancipated or may I move out?

They both have given me complete consent and I am wondering if I need to go to court for emancipation or if I may tell them I am moving out now. Which they would be fine with. I'm just wondering if it is legal or not? Would the police send me home if they found me? I have a job I make 200-400 every two weeks but will be making 200-300 every week when I get a second job. I can secure a living area with a friend or friends. I have multiple sources that will prove my maturity. Also, multiple adults and employers who would testify that for me. I would also be willing to live on the street homeless too. I also have a bank account with only my own work money saved up. I have earned every penny in that account.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your statement that you would be willing to live on the streets is proof of your lack of maturity. If the police find you, yes, they will turn you over to your parents. Then family services is supposed to help you and your parents work things out so you can come home. So, yes, you would need an emancipation order but i doubt a judge would give you one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.