Discovery Bay, CA asked in Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: My ex wife wants to restructure the remaining Spousal Support/Child Support so it’s consistent. Is it legal?

Basically she wants to add up the remaining amount of Support and divide that by the remaining months so it’s a consistent amount instead of it titrating down. What are your thoughts?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I think you are better off following the present order. When you start fooling with the order, like you are talking about, it could lead to future problems when it comes to paying your payments and in case of a subsequent modifications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.