Cleveland, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: It was recently brought to my attention that my elderly dying neighbor has changed her sole heir and sole poa.

There are red flags and suspicions that Live-in Caregiver may have manipulated her into these decisions. As a life long neighbor, I am deeply concerned. My neighbor is incoherent on her deathbed and has no family. How can I anonymously help before it is too late?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: This is a tough one. There is a lot to really think about and it is difficult to address over the internet.

At the very least, you can call your county Adult Protective Services and see if they want to get involved. However, it is a slow moving process.

Another possibility is for you or some trusted friend of hers to file for Guardianship and take over her affairs for her, while she is living. However, that is also time consuming and it may not resolve the inheritance issue.

If there was someone trustworthy willing to step forward and get involved, then that would be the best situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.