Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: My landlord was advised they can not kick us out so they have flooded the apartment with raw sewage to force us out

The landlord has backed up 3inches of raw sewage into the apartment making it uninhabitable because they were told they can not evict us and need a court order what can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First, you should move out to protect your health. But immediately contact your local housing and health officials to (politely) demand an inspection of the property, because the sewage is an immediate danger to public health, and issue a report. Their report most likely will declare the property “unfit for human habitation”. That declaration would release you of having to pay rent and effectively terminate your lease. Assuming you can prove that the landlord intended to use sewage to evict the tenants, you should consult with a local litigation attorney to advise you on how next to proceed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.