Northport, NY asked in Education Law for New York

Q: Family move, possibly keep kids from changing school districts in NY

Hi, hope you’re well. I have a question regarding residency for schooling on Long Island. I am a single father and live with my two teenage children in Suffolk County. We used to live with my ex-girlfriend in a Nassau County town, and my kids were enrolled in school there. I had to move recently. Changing districts is stressful for them. I am aware of residency regulations and don’t wish to cheat the system. But I am wondering if there’s precedent for them to stay where they’ve been without violating the district rules. I wouldn’t want to hand over legal power of guardianship to an ex. The only thing I’m thinking is establishing a rental agreement that they still use and reside mostly there? Your take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If they do not live in the town where they go to school they will be thrown out and must go where you live. While you might be able to phony up a lease, the issue is where they sleep at night. If the district finds out mid-year, you could be thrown out ASAP. If your kids spill the beans on the issue, that will be your biggest problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.