Malden, MA asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Rhode Island

Q: I believe my school misdiagnosed me with the flu when I really had the coronavirus.

I was sick with flu like symptoms in late February. I came to believe that it was a possibility that I had the coronavirus. I got tested and it came back positive. When I was sick I went to the doctors at my college. They asked my symptoms and wrote me a note saying it was the flu without testing me, even after I said I wanted to get tested. I later heard a lot of students were sick with similar symptoms, some got tested for the flu and it came back negative. I was just wondering if there was any legal action I could take. My mother also posted about this situation in a parents facebook group for my school and they didn’t let her post it, which seems a little suspicious to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Rhode Island attorney should advise you on this, but your post remains open for four weeks. In terms of the legal action you ask about, a fundamental issue will be the extent of damages/injury you suffered. Another issue that could arise here is the large number of resources out there that discuss the similarities in symptoms. One option is to try and arrange an initial consult with a Rhode Island attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.