Casa Grande, AZ asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Arizona

Q: Can I represent myself in a Civil case for emotional distress? No luck with any lawyers.


On May 2019 I became my father's Medical Power of Attorney. I provided a copy to the hospital were he was in. On June 8, 2019 my father was transferred to Intensive care unit. My father had decided to be a full code because he has other children that live 3-5 hours away and he wanted to give them a chance to say their goodbyes. My position as my father's MPOA was not respected because I was never notified that my father was in the ICU, because of this the doctor in charge decided to call another daughter and took the order by phone to do not resuscitate and comfort care only. My father passed away on June 9, 2019. This has brought a lot of emotional distress, I have been on medication for depression and anxiety. I am looking to start a lawsuit against my half sister that gave the order to DNR and the doctor. This took place in Arizona. I have searched for an attorney to represent me but I have not had any luck. Thank you for your time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm very sorry for your loss. A person could generally represent themselves in any given tort matter. Whether such a case would be viable could be another matter. I'm sorry for the anxiety that this matter has caused you, but these situations with DNRs and other directives do arise in health care facilities, and facilities are sometimes caught in a difficult crossfire of conflicting wishes expressed by different family members. You could continue to check with other attorneys, but you could also weigh the reluctance of firms to take the matter for its significance. Maybe if you asked one of the firms expressing reluctance for their reasons in not wanting to handle such a matter, that could be something for you to consider. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.