Desert Hot Springs, CA asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for California

Q: I need help with my injury case that was poorly mismanaged.

I was in a car accident in Feb 2018, and my settlement is coming to a close. My case was very poorly managed by my first case manager who no longer works at the law firm.

1.) My case was poorly managed to the point that it was negatively affected.

2.) My lawyer was absent from handling my case and managing his staff.

He has thousands of clients and said that he doesn't have enough time to talk with all his clients or his staff.

3.) This added stress dealing with this law firm is causing my injuries to flair up again and I will need additional physical therapy.

4.) My assessor lied about the lawyers fee's.

5.) My case manager will not speak to me and just wants me to sign the release of funds.

What options do I have?

Can I submit an ethics complaint, or renegotiate the settlement?

How do I make sure I get a copy of the contract and their fee's?

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel J Pope
Samuel J Pope
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Portland, OR

A: It's not entirely clear to me if your case has been settled yet, or not. If it has already settled and all that is left to do is to agree to the language in the release and sign it - at that point it will be difficult, likely impossible, to renegotiate the settlement.

You can certainly complain to the State Bar's website, but you might have better luck trying to work things out with your attorney.

Some attorneys are willing to reduce their fee if a client is unhappy. You might consider mentioning everything that you just listed here to your attorney, and reiterate that you want to talk to your attorney before you sign the release.

The attorney might offer to reduce his fee. If he doesn't, you could bring it up. He should certainly provide you with the original fee agreement that you signed when you came on as a client, if you request that.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.