Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Car Accidents Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Hello, I was in a car accident where I was not at fault. The one that caused the accident had no insurance or driver li

My insurance only wants to give me $3500 because I did not have full coverage. Is there a way to get more? I have to cover the costs for the towing company & to get my vehicle out. Is there a way to sue the other vehicle? I am emotionally & mentally stressed out, especially since I am a 20... Read more »

Frederick J. Sette
Frederick J. Sette answered on Oct 19, 2021

you are able to pursue the other driver legally, most likely in small claims, but the odds of you satisfying any judgment is low. Depending on what type of coverage you had on your own policy you may be able to obtain a recovery for your PTSD and any other associated injuries. That is your most... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: how long does it usually take to handle a stolen vehicle claim?

my car was taken from home 60 days ago. august 15th. they have had my vehicle in their custody for 60 days while im paying cash daily for a car rental and they will not/have not returned my calls or emails since on or about 9/14. my insurance which is full coverage (making payments) is paid through... Read more »

Neil Anapol
Neil Anapol answered on Oct 14, 2021

It depends. If the insurance company accepts the claim, and there is no dispute about the value of the vehicle, a few weeks at most.

If the insurance company suspects fraud and asks for your examination under oath, it could take several months, and the insurance company might eventually...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: I ask to know the California penal code for mentally ill paitents that are injured in car accidents?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 12, 2021

more info is needed.

i don't believe it makes any difference whether you are mentally incapacitated or not.

if you are not at fault you have the same rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: I rear ended someone in a private property shopping center and I have no car insurance

I live in California I rear ended them exiting a shopping center it was considered inside the property still so cops did not file a report. The guy reported the accident to his insurance and we exchanged information.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 7, 2021

more info is needed.

you will probably have your license suspended by DMV for a year.

hopefully, the other party has a large policy and they can pursue an uninsured motorist claims against their own policy.

though that ins co would have the right subrogate against you, the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: I was involved in an accident where a man j-walked right in front of my vehicle, I was unable to avoid hitting him

He died as a result.

is it already a foregone conclusion that I will be sued, and that my Insurance policy will pay-out, and the family’s lawyer will be able to go-after whatever assets I own, even if the Sheriff’s dept. has concluded that I am not guilty of any wrong-doing?

Edward A. Smith
Edward A. Smith answered on Oct 6, 2021

Most of the time, depending on your assets and insurance, they will not go after you personally. Your insurance will likely offer up your policy limits and if the attorney for the decedent's estate does not accept that offer of limits, then they will take you to court and will need to prove... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Got ankle bracelet 2day.HIGHLIGHTED on my schedule legend is 7am-3pm.Is that when I Cant leave home or hrs I can????

Also how can I obtain the blood test results from my accident?

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 5, 2021

much more info is needed.

I am assuming if you have ankle bracelets, that you have been to court and they were court-ordered???

if so the person to ask is your private or court-appointed lawyer.

I assume you have to wear during those hours but I would want to see the court...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Special interrogatories for defendant in the accident
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 30, 2021

A California attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. There was not a question included here - it's possible part of your entry got left off. You could try uploading the question again. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: My car was parked in the assigned spot of my apartment complex when it was struck by a large industrial garbage bin that

Was being dragged by a golf cart, toppled over and hit my front bumper. I don’t have insurance yet because I bought the car less than a month ago and have not had time to get my California license since I’m from out of state. I contacted the apartment management and explained what happened.... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Sep 13, 2021

initially, i would advise anyone buying a car, to have the insurance in place BEFORE taking possession.

get your license and insurance NOW.

otherwise, just show the damage and provide them an estimate from a body shop.

can you prove who did it? did you see it happen?

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Usaa won’t give me access to an agent of service to serve them for small claims ?

I need this to serve them for court

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 11, 2021

You can research their agents on the Secretary of state website, search for the corporation, the agent should be listed. Or serve the office where your agent works, substituted service. Why are you suing the insurance company in the first place? if this is a car accident you sue the owner and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Can I send small claims notice to the offender of car accident when she has hired an attorney? Her attorney says, I cant

Police report and my insurance put other party at 100% fault while her insurance considers me at 75% fault. Since I had basic insurance, I'm losing over 6K. She hired an attorney and that probably helped her with her insurance however when I sent her letter with my demand, her lawyer sent me a... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 31, 2021




Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Can I sue another driver in small claims court for 50% of my deductible if subrogation unfairly found us 50/50 at fault?

The police report sided with me; the officer on-scene stated that the other driver struck my car's driver's side door with his car's front bumper due to his making an unsafe left turn in a mall parking lot. The officer also stated in his report that the other driver admitted that he... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 28, 2021

was it a binding arbitration where both of you agreed to live with the ruling?

a lawyer would want to have read the papers you signed re arbitration..........

did you do this with a lawyer? if so would s/he file an appeal?

you can always sue in small claims court for up to...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for California on
Q: been sued by insurance company for over 107,000$ I was involved in car accident with motorcycle I didn’t had insurance

They put it at my fault because i was turning to the left when out of saddens a motorcycle hit my rear passenger side door but there was no damage in the motorcycle and the guy walking normal now I don’t have that much money what should I do what’s my opinions if anyone can help let me know... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 23, 2021




Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Are you resp. to pay for auto reprs for cars in front of you in a rear end coll if you were not the car that caused the

I was rear ended about 2 years ago. I was then pushed into the car in front of me and they were pushed into the car in front of them. I did not have a drivers license at the time. I was told I am responsible to pay for the damage to the 2 cars in front of me. Shouldn't the person in back, who... Read more »

Ronnie Kashri
Ronnie Kashri answered on Aug 20, 2021

Generally, the negligent person that caused the accident should be responsible to pay for the damages/injuries. However, it depends on the detailed facts of each case, which is not present here.

If you are taken to court and are somehow found to be negligent, even partially, then you would...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Notice of Refusal

I bought a motorcycle from out of state to replace my wrecked one. It only had at the time 7235 mi. I was given a notice of refusal from DMV what can I do? I've the letter from my insurance company that it was determined total lost. I was injured and its taken me this long to fine a... Read more »

Robert Dourian
Robert Dourian answered on Aug 19, 2021

The question is a bit confusing. Which MC did the DMV refuse? What was refused? What reason did the DMV give you? Did you contact the DMV to see what it requires (to register the MC? ) Anyway the more important question is how are you physically and mentally? Were you injured? How bad? Whose... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: doesn't having car insurance require you to have coverage for uninsured people?

While riding my bicycle I suffered a seizure blacked out and hit a parked car with my face , putting a dent in drivers side door . I was unconscious for approx. 10 minutes until fire & paramedics arrived on scene. Then police showed up and asked for my drivers license , I explained to them... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Aug 16, 2021

If your actions constitute legal fault, then the other side could sue you and obtain a judgment against you in the amount of the damages caused by your actions. Whether or not the non at fault party will do so, or its passed on representative (usually an insurance company via concepts of... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for California on
Q: Could I fire my lawyer, take the offer that my lawyer rejected on my own?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 5, 2021

you can always fire your lawyer and get a new one or handle on your own.

the lawyer's name will be on the settlement check and he would probably set up a hearing before a judge to determine quantum meruit..........payment for what work he did

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: What should the appellant have done instead of going after Enterprise? Target Mr. Sanchez instead? If yes, I need help!!

I had this same situation happen to me where the rental car was stolen and on May 15th my vehicle was stuck by an unauthorized driver. Now my vehicle is totaled and I’m stuck with the bill.

Ronnie Kashri
Ronnie Kashri answered on Aug 5, 2021

If there is a police report or if you have any insurance information on the other driver, I would consider making a claim with that insurance company. Otherwise, If you have car insurance, you can make a claim with them and depending on the circumstances and coverage available, they may cover the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: I need to speak to a lawyer regarding an accident with property damage and the officer felt I was under the influence.

There was property damage and no injuries. The officer did field sobriety which I believe I passed, but I was transported to a station where I was given a blood test. I was not given those results but was issued a citation for suspected DUI. Since that time I have not been able to speak to the... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 2, 2021

contact a good DUI lawyer in your area.....i only handle the greater palm springs area.

the officer sites you to court on a date on the bottom of the citation.

it is NOT like a traffic ticket. It is a Misdemeanor and is criminal.

Blood tests take a long time to get...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense for California on
Q: I accidentally let go of the brake in my car causing it to hit the gate of the parking structure, is that a hit and run?

The manager & owner of the apartment complex want to call the police and say it is a hit & run. I offered to pay for the repair, but they don't want to do it that way. What should I do?

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 2, 2021

if while driving your car you cause damage you have to leave word on how to contact you.

Yes, technically it is a Hit and Run.

i assume your position is that you didn't see any damage and would not have known who to contact.......unlike hitting a car and leaving a note for the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for California on
Q: Hello I’m a commercial class a with endorcements today at 10:30am I was in lane 1 right to left traffic

Traffic came to complete stop I had my truck in neutral and left about one car space in front off me so wen traffic started to roll I put it in second gear to take off as I let go off the clutch about 2-3 miles per houre I felt like I pushed something so I stoped from going forward I don’t know... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 26, 2021

you are likely to be presumed to have a duty to not move forward until you know that no one is in front of you. If you hit someone in front of you, you will be presumed to be at fault.

there are lawyers who specialize in tickets that I have worked would be worth the...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.