Phoenix, AZ asked in Car Accidents and DUI / DWI for Arizona

Q: Crashed my car by falling asleep cop charged me with a DUI for failing the suberiaty test.

I failed due to not walking straight said officer but had foot surgery while back so hard to put full pressure on it. I plead the 5th after that and was arrested. The other officer searched my car without my permission and found a pipe what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle Villanueva Skura
Michelle Villanueva Skura
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You were correct to plead the 5th, many people fail to assert their right to remain silent.

Unfortunately the court will usually find the search to be lawful since it will be considered a "Search Incident to Arrest". You will most likely be charged with a drug DUI due to the police finding what they consider to be drug paraphernalia. If the drug paraphernalia was used for marijuana and you have a valid medical marijuana card, then the card can provide what is known as an affirmative defense to help defend you. Traditionally the field sobriety test is inadmissible or does not hold much weight in court, however the results of any in-custody blood test will be admissible in court . You should seek the help of an attorney as there are many elements of your case that can be argued in your favor along with mitigating factors to help diminish or dismiss the charges.

You are welcome to contact our office today to speak with an attorney (480) 923-9001

Michelle Skura

VS Criminal Defense Attorneys

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.