Bronx, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: (NYC) Am I able to leave my NYCHA apartment?

I am the lease holder of a NYCHA apartment in the Bronx. I would like to surrender the apartment and leave however I have a guest that has been there for more than 30 days and does not want to leave due to no evictions at this time. Can I still surrender the apartment? What happens if I surrender, move out and he’s still there? Will NYCHA continue to charge me? Any advice is appreciated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, a tenant must deliver vacant possession of the premises to the landlord before being relieved of his or her obligations. However, it may be possible to negotiate on your own or with the assistance of an attorney for the release from your obligations in exchange for your cooperation with steps to obtain removal of the occupant.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.