Arlington, TX asked in Criminal Law and Probate for Texas

Q: Can my probation officer extend my probation for not being able to do nipv classes due to COViD19? Waco, TX

I’m on Misdemaenor, family assault, deferred probation. All my fines and fees are paid off, I’ve passed every UA, community service done. My probation ends in September, that’ll be my year. I was suppose to start NIPV classes on March 24th but they were canceled due to COVID19. I just got off the phone with my probation officer for my monthly appt. He said if I can’t do my nipv classes bc of covid, theyll have to extend my probation and hopefully I won’t have to pay anymore probation fees due extension. Can probation officer really just extend my probation. I gave my year to these people, I shouldn’t have to give them anymore because of a pandemic.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It wouldn't be the probation officer acting on their own authority, it would be something ordered by the for failing to complete the required terms. That means you could hire an attorney to argue your case but it might be less expensive to find an alternative.

For example, if the judge had required BIPP instead of Anger Management there is an exception in the law that allows you to see a private counselor when there is no BIPP available. If you ask politely, perhaps they would allow you to substitute a private counseling or even an online anger management program.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.