Mobile, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: My fiance was recently incarcerated and the back child support is adding up quickly. What are the next steps?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If he wishes to reduce or eliminate child support he will have to file a petition seeking that relief with the court that ordered him to pay or it will continue to run up as an arrearage. Given the fact that he is incarcerated a court could hold that he is not entitled to a reduction in child support because his loss of earnings can be argued to be of his own doing. Child support is based on earning capacity not actual earnings. Regardless to have any chance at all he will have to file a petition seeking relief with the court. Each payment becomes a judgment as it becomes due so no relief can be given from payments that were due in the past only payments moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.