Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Went somewhere I wasn’t aware was private property and a police told me I was getting trespassed.

So, today I went somewhere that I wasn’t aware was private property. Anyways a couple minutes into being there, I was face to face with an officer. I was told I was being trespassed, but not being taken to jail. I just want to know if this goes on my record or if it’s just for their record in case I come back? I truly don’t plan on coming back, because it’s obviously illegal and I didn’t know. I was not taken to jail, nor ever in custody. They wrote down my information but didn’t give me a ticket or any paperwork at all. Was this just a “don’t come back” or should I be worried?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Grooms
Stephen Grooms
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This is not a criminal citation, arrest or conviction and therefore it should not be entered on your criminal record. There is likely a report that the law enforcement agency took stating the warning you are being "trespassed" or essentially told formally not to come back. You can request a copy from the agency that issued the report if you want by going to the local precinct. If you go back they would use that report to arrest you for trespassing. As long as you don't go back it shouldn't be an issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.