Brooklyn, NY asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Collections for Tennessee

Q: How to get money back?

I've invested/borrowed 19k to Mr XYZ in 2016 who is a resident of TN. Mr XYZ hasn't returned them.

I have the agreement and a notarized note. I hired a collection agency that charged me $1,700 for financial search in Mr XYZ assets. They said that Mr XYZ moved all money to a trust fund and therefore I would never be able to get my money back. However, I don't trust the collection agency as they refuse to send me a report. They might not have done anything and just took $1,700.

One of the legal consultations I had, advised me to file a small court claim. However, I'm in NY and I'm looking for a legal representative in TN who will help with filing and represent me in court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If he actually has the cash protected, you will probably have to file a Creditor's Bill in Chancery. It is complicated and most competent attorneys will want a retainer plus a percentage of the recovered assets. A General Sessions Civil Warrant might expedite your recovery, but in most Counties your Judgment amount will be limited to $25K. But after obtaining a Judgment, you can start forcing the Judgment Debtor to disclose his assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.