Florence, OR asked in Adoption and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I dont want to live with my father any longer and my grandma is okay with taking me in but hes not what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If your father does not agree, then there might not be much you can do, unless your father is unfit, abusive, or has substance abuse problems. Parents have control of their children until they reach age 18 and are no longer a minor. It is normal for teens not to like the rules their parents impose. If there are problems, talk to your grandmother, another family member, teacher, or other trusted adult. Or your grandmother could use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to discuss obtaining custody or guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.