Irving, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Is there a way I can get the deed in my name while the house is in probate?

My grandmother passed away last year. I am the beneficiary as stated in her will and my mother is executor. Her house in currently in probate. I’m needing to get the deed in my name to take out a mortgage to pay her debts. How can I do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Generally speaking, the answer is no. The executor is responsible for inventorying your grandmother's assets and liabilities, notifying and paying creditors, and then distributing any remaining assets to the rightful heirs. If the house needs to be mortgaged or sold to pay your grandmother's debts, then the executor will have to obtain the probate court's permission to do exactly that. That being said, if your mother isn't doing her job as executor, you can ask the court to replace her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.