Brick, NJ asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: A new property management company took over and they want me to sign a lease renewal by the end of this month.

Also want to raise the rent. My original lease is for November 1st and I've been here for almost 3 years so I'm doing month to month. So they want to change it to a year lease again starting June 1st.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Rental laws vary by township, bring your lease to an attorney to see what your rights are. Some towns allow rent to be raised as much as they want other towns have caps called rent control.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: Generally, anyone who has an annual lease which expires goes into a status called tenancy at suffrage--which means they can be evicted at any time merely by giving them a notice to vacate.

The notice to vacate is usually given at the beginning of a new month and requires the tenant to leave by the last day of the month. However, some states allow landlords to give the notice only 15 days before the end of the month.

The fact that your landlord allowed you to stay there for almost two years without requiring you to sign a new written lease (or a renewed lease addendum) does not mean that a new landlord has to continue to let you stay on without a new written lease.

Bottom Line: You will either have to sign the new lease and stay on for another year or leave on or before May 31.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.