Atlanta, GA asked in Elder Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Arkansas

Q: Discovered my brother talked my mom into putting her home their name 3 yrs, she has passed. He believes it’s all his?

He believes he gets all, Home, Tools, all antiques. He hasn’t even called to discuss if there is even a will. There are 3 in all to inherit the property. Total of it all land is valued at $250k tools and antiques probably if sold in auction another $175. I have not lived near them in years but when life got rough and things were needed to get done I was the one to have to come up and tear down the trees, put up the chain link fences, build the decks and put on the new roofs and pay for all the materials

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If you can prove that your mom lacked the mental capacity to sign a deed when she signed it or that she had been subjected to undue influence, you might be able to convince a court to void the deed. You will need a fiduciary litigation attorney to help you.

Don Spears
Don Spears pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Benton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If your mother transferred the real property to your brother and was competent when she did it then there there is little you can do. If she was not competent that is a wholly different matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.