Arlington, TX asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: What to do if co-owner doesnt want to sell the house?

Long story short story. Me and my ex partner got a house under our names. Now since we not longer together she wants to sell the house. Wich in the other hand i dont want to sell the house cause we only have had the house for lil less than 2 years. I have given a lil over 28k towards the house. And i know if we was to sell i would get almost nothing back since the principal of the mortage loan has only gone down a lil less than 4k.. and she says that as longest i give her the amount of money that she put towards the down payment of the house when we first got it. That she would be ok with that, and a few years later i can completely take her off the loan if possible. So what can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: You may have to buy her out and get a Quit Claim Deed. She can file a Partition Action at any time. It will be almost impossible to remove her from the mortgage note without a refinancing solely in your name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.