Murfreesboro, TN asked in Sexual Harassment for Tennessee

Q: what do i do if an ex boyfriend is stalking me and putting notes on my car? i dont know how he knows where i live.

he follows me on social media from a lot of different accounts, texts and calls from a lot of numbers because i have all his stuff blocked and now left a note on my car while i was in my apartment with my family. i have never told him where i lived and i don’t know how he knows my address considering i just moved here not even 3 months ago and haven’t talked to him since before that. i don’t want to have to worry about being safe in my own home with my family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You may want to consider taking out an order of protection against him. Orders of protection are an order from a Judge that a person will not contact or come about whoever is designated as being protected under the order. These laws are primarily designed to offer protection to victims of domestic violence. Stalking is a specific ground in the statute that the Judge may use to determine an order of protection is valid.

There is help available for those in situations like yours. You may consult with a private attorney familiar with this practice area. (Most family law attorneys are experienced in Orders of Protection).

There is a family safety center in Murfreesboro that assists people with free orders of protection. Their website is:

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.