Yuma, AZ asked in Child Custody and Civil Rights for Arizona

Q: I'am married and no custody in place can I bring my kids from NEBRASKA to ARIZONA

My husband left the state without my permission the kids were supposed to stay with me can I pick them up from NEBRASKA and bring them to az without breaking the law he lied to me and the kids

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Hall
Jay Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Because you are currently married, he probably did not need your permission to leave with the children. Without any court orders in place, parents have coequal rights. That means that you could retrieve the children but he has no obligation to release them to you. Rather than subject the children to a potentially traumatic game of tug of war, it may be best to discuss your legal options with a local family law attorney. Time is of the essence because once the children have been in Nebraska for six months, it may acquire exclusive jurisdiction for all child custody matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.