Louisville, KY asked in Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: state taxes are not being taken out of my paycheck.

me and my fiancé were asked to move here from Florida to run a warehouse for the company we work with. we just recently found out that Kentucky has state taxes but our company has not been taking out state taxes on our paychecks. How do we fix that? Will that mean that we will owe money when we file our taxes and if we do owe money would that be our employers job to pay it?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Check with HR to see what address they have on file for you. You're likely still listed as living in FL so you haven't been setup as a KY resident for payroll. Another problem could be that you need to update your W-4 for state withholdings.

Your taxes are your responsibility. If you end up owing KY your employer is not responsible for those taxes.

You should consider making an estimated payment to KY to balance out your withholdings for the year so that you don't owe.

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Naperville, IL

A: It is only your employer's job to withhold tax and pay the funds over to the government, per your state version of the W-4 Form. It is not the employer's responsibility to pay your liability.

Here is a somewhat related article, for another W-2 reporting situation:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.