Phoenix, AZ asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: Dual citizenship last name mismatch between 2 passports due to marriage. How to prove that both names are mine?

On passport of my origin country i have my maiden last name and on US passport i have my maiden last name + my married last name. The marriage happened in my country of origin, but later on, my husband changed his last name to reflect his biological father's last name trough the US court, so mine changed as well. Having hardship when visiting the country of my origin to prove that its the same me. Where can i get a paper stating that both (maiden last name and maiden last name + married last name) represent the same me? Do i have to go through the court for this, or there is an easier way?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL

A: It's difficult to tell whether you are asking about US policies or the policies of your home country. If your home country is the one giving you the problem, then you need to speak to a lawyer who is licensed there. But generally speaking, you need to follow the paper trail. That means you need to obtain certified copies of every government record that evidences your and your husband's name changes, such as your marriage certificate and other existing court records. You will probably need these translated into the language of which country you submit them for evidence, if applicable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.