Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: Can a husband legally take my camera and gear?

My husband has taken my camera and gear, around 15,000.- worth out of spite. I'm a photographer and taking photos is how I make my living.

1 Lawyer Answer
Diana Valle
Diana Valle
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Bethesda, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No, he cannot take your camera and gear. Although you are married, and most property acquired during marriage is marital property, that does not mean that he can take your personal property from you. Try calling the local police for assistance. I do not know if he is still residing with you, but hopefully that is a place to start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.