Asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: My mother is verbally abusive and I live with her every other week. I don't want to go back.

I'm constantly punished for having a good relationship with my dad. I don't play "the game" like my brother does, by telling what she wants to hear. My brother tells her what she wants (even if its lies) just to stop her from yelling. I'm called a liar, spy, lazy even though my step-father, brother and I do all the housework. She always talks horrible about my dad. Recently she grounded me because she could no longer see my friends on social media. I don't have social media accounts. She's lied to us about having a disease that prohibits her from working so we would tell the judge that, and after papers were signed she got a job.

My dad doesn't make much and I hate to see him go to court and spend money he doesn't have but I don't know what else to do outside of running away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes, your father would have to hire a lawyer and file a petition for modification of custody. One of your parents might be eligible for free legal services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.