Dayton, OH asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can I fight this?

I rented an apartment May 2019 to June 2020. On May 1st my rent was due. I was not going to have the money to pay the rent till after May 7th. On May 6th I got an eviction notice stating I needed to vacate by May 11th. To avoid legal action I left May 9th. I got a final statement yesterday saying I owe over $2,000 and my reason for leaving was buying a house. Per my lease I should have gotten a late notice and a late fee added, in addition to an extra $2.00 late fee daily till it was paid in full. I have my lease and my eviction notice and the final statement. What they did went against the lease agreement and they lied on the final statement. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I cannot afford to pay $2,331.38 nor can I afford a lawyer. The rent money I had was spent on moving out and into a new place in 3 days. It says I have 10 days before it goes to collections.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes you can fight it. If they sue you for the money, then you can file an answer to the complaint that they file, and then attend the hearing to offer the lease as your defense. Check with local legal aid, or if your local court has a clinic with volunteers to assist those without an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.