Zanesville, OH asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for New York


The defendants committed fraud and were a LLC when they defaulted by failing to provide discovery and did not show up for the trial the judge told us it would go back to the original complaint where each defendant and company was liable. The judge wanted a notarized assessment . During that time my husband had major heart surgery at the VA hospital and complications and a stroke during that time I tried to get in contact with the contractor leaving messages by phone and email in the mean time the judge retired and another took over when he failed to name the right defendants and gave us only a pittance for the damages we are pro say. This initially started I small claims where the contractor filed a claim against us for money he abandoned the job and refused an order to remedy the state and town became involved and he plead guilty and he was fined $5000. This went to the town and because of the damages we had to file a complaint in Supreme court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is unclear to me what happened to you and what you want to happen now. To answer your direct question, a plaintiff must prove damages even if a case is uncontested. The proofs are uncontested but must exist and be cognizable under the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.