New Straitsville, OH asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Support for Ohio

Q: I'm disabled and owed child support. The judge told child support not to pursue the matter any farther.

I signed away my rights so my child could be adopted. But it didn't happen and they came after me for support. I hardly survive on my check. But years later had another child and when we went to court the judge said since I had a child and I was disabled they should not pursue the matter any farther. And this year the took the stimulus check meant for my child and I.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You'll have to try to work it out with the child support enforcement agency. Give them a copy of whatever order the judge signed regarding your child support. But that might not get them to give you the stimulus money if you had arrears.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.