Stafford, TX asked in Education Law for Missouri

Q: . What can we do if my son was not chosen for Varsity cheer at his school?

I have proof that he is overly skilled qualified to be on the varsity team, which is all girl. Two boys tried out and neither made teams. My son is a World level 6 All Star cheerleader, and his skills for school cheer exceeds the 14 girls that made the team.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Smith
Neil Smith
  • Clayton, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Did this happen in Missouri or Texas? A parent in Missouri recently sued his son's public school claiming that his son should have made the soccer team. The case, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, was unsuccessful. The problem that you might have is that you would have to prove that your son did well at tryouts, even though that is subjective. If you can establish gender bias you would potentially have a case. But these cases are very difficult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.