Orlando, FL asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Can by balance of 35k be reduced or 0 out in Puerto Rico?

My son had dropped out of high school at 16 then decided to go to job corps. Graduated at 17 was working for some people on the island then move to FL. Just turning 18yo. Lived with me and i found him employment were i am currently. He was with me for about a year before he moved out and back with his mom... All that time i was and still paying child support for him.. What can i do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You can and must get the Child support order reviewed and ceased. You also need to request credit for payments made directly to the Child while he was in your physical custody (residing) and / or under your care. This is amatter that you problably would want to use an Attorney for the process.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

1 user found this answer helpful

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings

You have to request to have your child support case reviewed so you can provide proof that you have been providing for your son and that he has been living with you all that time through your legal representation. The court will examine the evidence and listen to the parties involved in a hearing. After examining the evidence; and listening to the testimony it will evaluate the receipts and listen to the legal foundation that can have the case closed or give credit to the payments that have been made.

The court will give credit to those years he has been living with you and or under your custody.

If you have any other questions or need additional information please feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.