Howell, MI asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Washington

Q: Do I need a special type of business license to sell growing equipment to the marijuana growers?

The WA state website does not specifiy, and I cannot find this answer *anywhere*. I've no desire to touch, buy, or sell marijuana. I want to start a website that sells the equipment to grow it, though. Hydroponics, LED lights, blah, blah.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron A. Pelley
Aaron A. Pelley
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Most states do not require a specific license, except a business license (and perhaps City license) to work in the areas you have described. However, as ridiculous as it sounds, you are still subject to Federal Prosecution, as those who sell certain precursor chemicals, specialized equipment, or simply offer to help produce marijuana may also may be charged with the federal crimes. So far, we have not seen any meaningful Federal enforcement in State's that have moved to full recreational cannabis laws. It would be important to note these state's has decriminalized and created robust legal oversight. However, some places this is still considered a crime. You need to do a state-by-state analysis to make sure you are not delivering where it is illegal at the State level as both State and Federal prosecutors may be able to be able to prosecute you. The issue is not if it is legal in your state, it also matters where you deliver. If you need an example of someone thinking they were going to be just fine, given how progressive things are read and the charming Fed from Beaver Falls.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.