Orlando, FL asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: What lawyer will take my case being that its ASUME in Puerto Rico? I might have to go the island and try?

Asume in Puerto Rico is very difficult to make contact with.. Things such as kids mom getting married son dropping out daughter is now pregnant and graduating high school has never been reported by custodial parent. I have the documents to most of the things but still have not recieved a word back...my son will be 21 soon and my daughter 19. The debt is there. 580 month. I get paid biweekly 348 is garnished if i get paid 3 times in a month. I am paying more than what i should and the debt is still there35k..help plz.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You are dealing with an agency that is almost impossible to contact from a remote location. This is a must visit agency. Even then it is a daunting task even for Attorneys. This is a very téchnical agency with a vast collection of regulations and laws all of it's own.

You need to have a reviewed hearing to adjunts the Child support payment, how it is país, to whom and why. It will need to be established if daughter lives with custodial Patent, if son will continue to study, etc.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this matter further and in depth.

3 users found this answer helpful

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

ASUME is an agency that is hard to make contact with over the phone even for us attorneys. You can still file electronically, but given your case, there are several technical issues that you have to address to this agency in regards to your child support payments and the specificity of other really important details.

All these details that you have mention can affect your payment substantially. Depending on the outcome of other of these details it can greatly benefit you, but you have to have a personal hearing. Specially when your child support payment is more likely to be under review to your benefit.

If you have any other questions or need additional information please feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.