Kings Mountain, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: after filing for custody of my children what do I expected? Can i see my kids while the case goes to court

Is there a quick way to get visitation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Generally speaking, there is no "quick" way to get visitation, unless the other parent agrees or you resort to other means which may only escalate any disagreements you already have with the other parent. You should really consult with an experienced family law attorney, who can help guide you on what to do next, and to help make sure you are doing everything that is required. You don't want to waste time by doing it incorrectly. If you did not file for a temporary order, you may have to wait longer to get a court order for visitation. Before you can be heard by the judge (unless you filed for temporary visitation), you'll need to attend mediation first. Again, consult directly with an attorney, and discuss your situation in detail, so he/she can better help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.