Kathleen, FL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: Can someone give your dogs away, that they agreed to hold for you? The home is owned by both parties!

I currently live in Central Florida and due to extenuating circumstances, I had taken my dogs to Miami, where I owned a house with my soon to be ex. The verbal agreement was that as soon as the house sold and I could find a place to live I would pick the dogs. Well, he has sold the house refuses to give me my share and to top it off has given the dogs away. My granddaughter is heartbroken, as these were her dogs and were her emotional support, as she is going through a lot emotionally. Can he legally do this? Is there anything that I can do? Thank you, Mary

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Do you know who he gave the dogs to? If so, contact them and tell them they are your dogs and you want them back.

I suspect that this may relate to another question which I just answered here. I would be helpful if you could put all of the details in the same "question".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.