Toms River, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Hudson county nj. My ex husband owed me 38,000 in back child support, he died last August.

There is a lawsuit about his death and it's being settled now, the lawyer said if he had outstanding debt that would be paid first. How can I get my 38,000 back, it's debt right? How do I get the money when the courts are closed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Our court system is not closed and you need to take prompt action to ensure that your claim is not ignored. If anything, you want to make sure that the lawyer involved in the case, knows that you have an outstanding judgement for 38,000 for back child support. You also want to make sure that the probation department is aware of the settlement so that they can also serve notice - make sure that you give your probation department officer the name of the lawyer and any other information about the case that is available to you - and do so in writing!!

If your child[ren] are un-emancipated, you may also want to file an immediate application with the court to freeze the remainder of the settlement monies to have the court put in place a set aside to address your ex's remaining child support obligation from those proceeds. A family part judge can order a freeze on all or a part of those monies to cover your ex's future child support obligation up through their emancipation. You need to move quickly though starting with a request ( on an expedited basis) to freeze the proceeds until the court rules on your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.