Danvers, MA asked in Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Massachusetts

Q: I need to know legally where I stand with child support. X had c/s reduced 6 years ago due to no jobs but does very well

He just bought a $700,000. house, goes to the Caribbean 2-3 times a year and does not cover my health insurance and it’s in our divorce. The $49 a week I get in c/s is not enough

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It sounds like a Modification of Child Support matter can be filed based upon his material change in circumstances . The current Guidelines would be applicable, also. It also sounds like he is in Contempt with regard to your health insurance coverage if that was not changed in the earlier Modification you have described. If you engage counsel in Contempt the Court can award counsel fees to be paid by former spouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.