Houston, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Can I get a temporary order quickly until our current order is changed?

My 10 year old daughter is wanting to do cheer leading again for a 2nd year which she tried out for and made the team. Unfortunately, the team she made has practices every Sunday which interfere with her fathers scheduled time. I spoke to my daughter and she informed me she was ok with shorter time with her dad and really wants to do cheer. After speaking to him, he adamantly refuses to work with me even after offering extra days outside of his scheduled time to see her. I am trying to find out if this is something that I can get adjusted through a judge or if I have to tell my daughter she just cant do any sports as it will interfere with her fathers time which he is unwilling to adjust and if she misses to many days she will be kicked off her team.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Estorga
Jessica Estorga
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should consult with an attorney to get a modification and set for temporary orders to address this one issue. Obviously father is going to want his time made up elsewhere, so I'd start brainstorming alternate periods of possession or make up times over holidays to provide as a reasonable solution to present to a Judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.