Woonsocket, RI asked in Family Law and Probate for Rhode Island

Q: Father passed away, had no will, wife received everything. She passed and gave everything to her kids, what can I do?

My Father passed away in 2012, his next of kin was his wife, so she received his Veterans Burial Flag. She had passed away in 2019, I just found out. She gave my Father’s flag to her grandson, I was my Father’s only biological child and they had no children together. With my Father’s death, I was not notified about his probate, his new family used a fake mailing address for me, so I wouldn’t attend. When I filed with the court, his wife responded that he had nothing so she was giving nothing. My Father’s insurance policy paid off the house, which he was paying on and now her children have everything. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Consult with a local attorney to review the case that was likely filed in the town where they passed. If the will was filed and no objection was timely filed, you may not have a remedy. For peace of mind, the consultation may be worth your while.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.