Q: In IL. if you convicted of a burglary but satisfactorily completed probation 10y ago. Can I get 2 amendment rights back?

In Cook County Illinois if you convicted of a burglary but never went to prison & satisfactorily completed probation ten years ago can you get it expunged & have Second amendment rights restored? The charge was for the new burglary a girl stole the laptop from a car I was there so I got in trouble to. At court she admitted she was the one who did it but that didn’t change the fact I was still there.

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can not expunge such a case. Your only option is to file an Executive Clemency Petition requesting the governor to pardon you and allow you to expunge this matter. These types of petition are rarely granted, but it is your only option. You will want to hire an attorney to assist you with the petition to increase you odds of success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.