Lebanon, TN asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Can a 17 year old leave home with an 18 year old and live together with the 18 year old helping to take care of them ?

This is a question with the laws of Tennessee because I frankly have no clue, and would love a more simple answer then a very long 5 page written answer preferably only a 2 page answer or shorter . Thank you ! And sorry .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the parents of the 17 year old approve, then yes.

If the parents of the 17 year old do not approve, then maybe.

Maybe because . . . it exposes the 17 year old to a charge of juvenile "unruliness" and being placed in the protective custody of the Tennessee Department of Children's Services for services, if needed, with placement likely to be in a foster home until the juvenile turns 18. If services are deemed to not be needed then the juvenile would likely be placed back with the parents.

Depending on the circumstances, if the Tennessee Department of Children's Services gets involved, the parents may be hailed into court to answer a Petition for Dependency and Neglect filed against them by the state.

There's your less than two page answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.