Pittsburgh, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: Can a cancelled court date by the state for a speeding ticket be reinstated a month later by the state?

I am from PA. I got a ticket for 80 in a 55 in MD. I requested a court date to plead my special circumstances( My fiancee is type 1 diabetic and was having a sugar low and getting really sick. We were trying to get somewhere for help). I got a court date. After several continuances by me for health reasons I got a letter from MD court that the case was cancelled. About a month later I got another letter with a new court date. Is that legal? Can I fight that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The District Court schedules all trial dates based on officer and court availability. Courts were closed by emergency order of the Court of Appeals for several months during the COVID-19 pandemic, and all trials canceled and rescheduled to dates after the court is reopened. Phase 1 of the reopening schedule for the courts has begun. All of this is "legal". If the date is inconvenient for some good cause reason, you can file a motion explaining and supporting your reasons why you cannot be present for the currently scheduled date, and then the judge can rule on the motion. The ticket you describe is a 2-point offense in MD, and if you want, you can hire a lawyer to appear for you so you do not have to appear, and the lawyer can try to get the ticket dismissed, or convince the judge not to impose the conviction or points by granting a PBJ (this will prevent it from appearing on your PA license as well), or get the speed reduced to 0-9 mph over the limit which will drop this to a one point offense. You will need to determine from a PA lawyer what effect a conviction on this ticket in MD will mean to your PA license. Some states impose their own points and penalties on their licensed residents who get out-of-state convictions. With speeding tickets, the penalty generally depends on how many miles over the posted limit you are convicted of, and I cannot advise you on what that is in PA. Maryland does not impose points on their residents who get speeding tickets in other states, but the conviction appears on their driving record. Therefore, if PA imposes points for an out-of-state conviction, then you will need to know what that will be if you are convicted in MD,and whether getting the speed reduced will help or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.