Marshfield, WI asked in Civil Rights for North Dakota

Q: Can police look through windows of your house if there are cars in the driveway and feel it could possibly be a party?

My daughter was recently detained while in North Dakota. I have spoke to the police and they claim tgey received a anonymous tip of a possible party because of cars in the driveway. 4 police officers hid in the woods for 2 hours and claim they saw what appeared to be someone underage drinking alcohol inside the house. When the kids left to go outside the police detained them and asked each child to go into the police car separately and blow in there face. No breathalyzers were given but 2 underage drinking tickets were given out and our school back in Wisconsin was called about the incident. I would also like to know if ai can legally record conversations with the police I'm speaking with there?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Your first mistake is speaking to the police without a lawyer - it's a no-win game. Your daughter need a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.