Asked in Criminal Law and Probate for New Hampshire

Q: I owed restitution from when i was 15 can they transffer it 2 adult court and put a bench warrent if i was off probate

When I was 15 i vandalized someones car.i was supposed to pay off 1400$ and do prohibition. I finished my probation successfully and moved to virginia when i turned 18 i owe 285$ left on my probation can they transfer it to adult court because they are telling me i have a bench warrent now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: It depends. If you finished probation successfully and the case was closed it doesn't seem like there is anything that can be done. If it was left as a collections case only, they may be able to issue a warrant. I would suggest contacting the court and find out if there is a warrant and if so pay the restitution and probation will likely be glad to vacate the warrant if it exists.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.