Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Probate Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: What is best way to fix name on legal documents when first/middle were switch on birth certificate?

Moved states and need a new ID but my birth certificate has my first/middle names switched (I never caught this). All legal documents use my middle name (for 85 yrs now). DMV suggests I change entire name to match SS card exactly and then apply for new birth certificate. But will state put my... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jan 11, 2020

You have a few options here. The first option is to do nothing. It is quite common for an individual to "go by" his or her middle name or a nickname his or her entire life. Just accept the new id with your name as shown on your birth certificate. Your friends can still address you by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: What is the NH statute defining incompetence?

My wife had dementia when she cancelled her disability policy

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 27, 2019

A New Hampshire attorney could advise best on this, as insurance coverage is generally governed by state specific-elements. But your question remains open for two weeks. The problem with such a legally broad term is that it could be defined in more than one way, depending on the statute and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: My father passed. my house has his and my name on deed does his new wife have any claim to the house
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Apr 4, 2018

She may have a legal interest in his share of the property. Is there a Will?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: Can I evict my nephew from our house

My Nephew and I recently inherited the house I get 75% and my nephew 25 we were living in the house when my parents passed away he has not paid anything am I legally allowed to kick him out

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Nov 28, 2017

If you BOTH own the house, then no, you probably can't evict him. You MAY be able to partition the house, and sell if he won't buy you out, but the details of what you can and cannot do are far too complex to get into in a forum like this. You need to both

1) Complete the probate...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: father died me+2 sibling beneficiaries assets in trust lawyer wants probate1 sister agrees 2 don't is probate necessary
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Apr 26, 2017

This isn't really a matter of 'opinion' ... if there are assets that are in your father's name alone at the time he died, then probate is necessary. If a LAWSUIT in which the estate had an interest is ripe (wrongful death, etc.) then probate is necessary.

If there are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: I've been tasked with handling my father's assets after his death and it looks like I can just fill out the probate

paperwork in the county where he lived. Is there any reason I should also hire an attorney?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jan 20, 2017

There are MANY requirements when filing probate from handling final tax returns, to filing a 1041 (if necessary) and insuring all the appropriate publication notices and creditor notices are filed etc.

EACH STATE has different requirements, and unless you are familiar with them you'll...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: Do step children automatically inherit parents assets equally with biological children in the case of no will?

We have been married 28 years and between us have 8 children all grown and 13 grandchildren. all we have is the equity in our home and no will. Will all 8 of the children share the remaining assets : step children and biological. we have no biological children together. I have 5 he has 3.

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Jun 8, 2016

Here's some more information about dying "intestate" (without a will).

I highly recommend you talk to an attorney in person. You have a unique situation and there's a chance your estate will not be distributed in a manner you intend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.