Trussville, AL asked in Contracts for Alabama

Q: My aunt says she used wrong deed in signing of the property over to me. She used old deed. Is this still a legal bond?

She is now saying that she used the wrong deed bc she and her late husband had resurveyed the property. So will the property be in my name or still in hers. It was also filed in the courthouse of the same county. It was also a quitclaim deed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: A real estate attorney can review the quitclaim deed and make sure that the appropriate language to effectuate the transfer was used and the it was correctly filed. From what you are stating in your question it seems the difference between the "ol" deed used and a new one would be the actual legal description of the property, not the address.

The Alabama quitclaim deed is a document that transfers ownership with relation to the interest in property from one party to another.Because quitclaim deeds make no warranty about the quality of the grantor's title, they are best for low-risk transactions between people who know each other and typically involve no exchange of money. A local attorney would be able to tell you what document can be filed in public records to correct the legal description in the quitclaim deed.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on this information without first consulting with your own lawyer and discussing your specific facts and available options in detail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.