Springfield, MA asked in Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: I have been/am in a situation where I have been falsely accused of doing something and don’t know what to do about i

They are family members. One of them is diagnosed mentally ill, the other is not. However they have both tried to pin their shortcomings on me repeatedly and even had me arrested and hospitalized and have been doing so since I was a young child. I tried to file a domestic violence restraining order and the judge dismissed it without hearing the case. I am currently staying in a shelter because I was living in between the family. But I have lost a lot of money and a lot of time and life and jobs because of the false accusations and domestic abuse. What would the next step be to proceed legally? I also am in a low socio economic class and can’t afford a private lawyer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Speak only with your lawyer. If you cannot afford private counsel, a public defender will be appointed to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.