Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by John LaRochelle
2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Does the noncustodial parent have to meet the person the other parent is dating before the child can be around them?
John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Nov 7, 2021

The is no law or automatic mandate that requires the noncustodial parent to meet the custodial parent’s romantic interest before the child is permitted to be in the presence of the romantic interest. Sometimes, the details regarding when children will meet a romantic interest of a parent are... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I install a camera in my bedroom

I had to move back in with my father and his wife until I can purchase a home. I have fear of his wife as she has verbally assaulted and threatened me numerous times. I installed a security camera in my bedroom for my own piece of mind. She has covered it once and has stated if I do it again she... Read more »

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Aug 11, 2020

Good afternoon, Fearful of Threats,

Since you are being permitted to live in the house of your father and his wife, it is they and not you who may decided what type of security cameras are permitted in their home. The room where you sleep is their room; they are just letting you sleep...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: Case Description Emergency motion question regarding returning daughter to unsafe situation

My daughter has been with me for summer visitation since june14th. I have concerns about her safety with her mother so I haven't returned her to her mother. Today her mother filed an emergency court motion and the judge ordered me to bring her back and gave us a court date of August 18th.... Read more »

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Jul 24, 2020

You must comply with the court's order. There is no excuse to fail to do so. If you feared so much for you child's safety, you should have filed your own motion, requesting the court to order you not to return your daughter to her mother. If your concern is so great and your daughter is... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: May I take minor out of country on vacation without consent from the other OCONUS parent? I have placement, RI.
John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Apr 10, 2020

If you have sole custody, you are able to take your minor child out of country on vacation without consent from the overseas parent. Otherwise, you need the permission of the child’s other parent, whether or not he or she is OCONUS. I strongly recommend that you get that permission in writing.... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: I got in an argument with my ex. He strangled me and upon trying to get him off I scratched him. I got arrested.

I would like to hire an attorney but I am looking at being fired because I have had to miss so much time at work to go to court. I have not one thing on my record and have had 2 restraining orders on him in the past. I dont understand how they cannot see that I was not the aggressor.

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Mar 10, 2020

You should follow through with your plan to hire an attorney. It’s important that you present a strong defense with an effective presentation of the evidence that demonstrates you were not the aggressor.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: Can I press charges

I slept with a married man a few weeks back and he ended up going home to his wife on the other side of the country. We continued our relationship long distance. His wife found out and be told me that he was leaving her for me. I drove 8 hours out of state to pick him up at an airport that he told... Read more »

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Mar 6, 2020

You can not press criminal charges against them. They have committed no crime against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.